Sunday, August 16, 2009

Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

I do realize that it has been a while since my last posting. I am a busy woman, after all. As acting mayor of d'Oasis, I have a lot of responsibilities. There are things to be planned and committees to head and duties to dole out. And occasionally a d'Oasian has a question about this or that - so, yes, I've been a little busy. This isn't to say I don't have time for recreational activities. Those can also take me away from my writing.

But here I am and here are some words for my avid readers. d'Oasis has been just as beautiful as a soul can imagine these days. We have just a few clouds dotting the sky which is exalting in my favorite shade of blue. Each morning I walk out my front door - to climb into my burgundy Caprice Classic - to head to work. I look up to the sky and thank the good Lord that I have such a day to enjoy. I think, sometimes, people don't take the time to stop and appreciate what is being presented to us. It's like that line from my most favorite book/movie ever: "I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it."

We have had a number of those kind of days, lately. I find even more joy when I hear Dorothy Jean coming into the office with a song in her heart. On my drive to work, I see that these wonders bring more d'Oasians into the beautiful morning air. I see Lulubelle BonClarken and Maude Smith out front of the d'Oasis General Market sweeping away and bringing more glimmer to the storefront windows. And Teensy is out in the town square lawn surrounded by leashes attached to the sweetest miniature pups you ever saw. The pups are hopping and yipping and rolling around with each other. Viola Jessup rides by me at a traffic light - on her bicycle - with the most uplifting of smiles and her hair dancing in a little breeze.

This might sound silly but it's like one of those scenes in a movie when every soul on the screen suddenly breaks into song. Yes, I'm a little bit of a cornball, but I think a soul has to be to find happiness and sanity.

Just two days ago, we were blessed with a day of uplifted spirits and the annual Fair and Carnival happened to be in full swing. Oh, how we all look forward to the Horizon Fair. It's called the Horizon Fair because if you look north toward the horizon from d'Oasis, you can see the top of the ferris wheel - and at night the carnival lights make a glorious glow. The same thing goes for the inhabitants of New Topia - except for their view is toward the south. It used to be called the In Between Carnival - since it was in between d'Oasis and New Topia, but people weren't too fond of the name. "In Between" somehow made the event sound not quite so exciting.

I'd agreed to meet my nearest and dearest friends at around 5:30 that evening. Effie was driving Meems and Teensy. I needed to finish some work in the Mayor's office. Dorothy Jean had been itching to get to the Horizon Fair all day, so I let her go home at lunchtime. I didn't think there would be too many calls to the Mayor's office that day anyway. I must admit that my heart was racing all that day thinking of the rides and cotton candy, caramel apples and games, cookoffs and pageantry.

I locked up the office at 5:00 pm sharp. I'd brought a change of clothes with me to the office. At 4:45, I'd gone into the powder room to freshen up and put on my casual dress. With a lilt in my step, I quickly got to my car and made a beeline to Horizon Fair.

There were already so many cars parked on the outskirts of the grandstands, brightly lit barricades and tents. I could already hear the sprightly music when I found a parking spot and cut the engine. My entire being smiled with excitement. This fair and carnival had been a big part of my life since the age of three. I do so enjoy when the childly spirit shines in the face of an adult. We have to find a way to feel that presence more often.

I practically ran to the ticket counter to gain admittance and was immediately off to search for my friends. Well, I will admit that I made a quick stop to purchase a glass of the coldest and best-tasting lemonade you ever encountered. And there were many hellos from fellow d'Oasians - Aunt Gibby and Xenobia Addams from atop the ferris wheel, Hoke Jon-Jon Ramirez from the Duck Shooting Gallery, Barbara Jean Merkin-Casselberry from the Guess Your Age Booth (that woman stayed constantly young looking), Jubilee Saskatoon gave me a cotton candy covered smile and wave from the entrance to the Mirrored House, and Janis Dikinson Tatum gave me a little peck on the cheek as she and her cameraman strode by. There were smiles on oh so many faces.

I heard the ring of a loud bell above the din of the carnival atmosphere followed by shouts of glee from familiar voices. I turned to find my gal pals high fiving each other in front of the Show of Strength Tower. Between Effie and Teensy stood Meemaw with an innocent grin and a large-handled hammer in her hands. Alma Doolittle had just rung the bell atop that tower with one swing of the hammer. I couldn't help but laugh - in awe - and ran to give Meems a high five of my own.

We all giggled as Meemaw was given a muscle man doll by the sheepish carnival worker. Meemaw lifted her right arm and flexed it like the muscle man. Of course, that sent us all into immediate giggle fits. "I need some sustenance to maintain my strength," Meemaw said. We laughed even harder and Meems led the way to the hot food cart by the Mirrored House.

We each got a corn on the cob served in the husk which was cooked just right. We paired the corn with a tall glass of sweet iced tea. Effie spotted some tables over by the cookoff area. We parked ourselves at a picnic style table just as they were announcing the winners of some of the cooking contests. Pearl Nova Hasselbeck won the bundt cake competition with her Fire in the Hole Chocolate Bundt. That cake of hers was famous all over d'Oasis. She made the sweetest chocolate icing and would poor a little bourbon in the hole of the bundt and light it up. The fire added to the sweetness of the icing. Siobahn Wiggins - Teensy's sister-in-law - won several awards: the Side Dish Specialty with her Veggie Cornucopia Casserole, the Dishes of Tomorrow with her Tofu Spectacular on a Stick and the Heavenly Meat Award with her Dripping Pork Chops glazed with a mixture of caramel and peanut butter.

d'Oasis was well represented at the cookoff competition and I believe we won every blue ribbon there was to be had. It's a good thing we'd grabbed those corn on the cobs or our mouths would have been watering like there was no tomorrow.

After the cookoff announcements were made, we decided it was time for a few rides. Teensy's eyes lit up, "Oh, we just have to go ride the Tilt-a-Whirl."

"But we've just eaten, Teensy," replied Meemaw.

"Please, please, please, please...." said Teensy, with a breathless excitement.

"Oh, it's one of my favorites, too," chimed Effie.

So, we made our way to the Tilt-a-Whirl. I think Meems and I were a little trepidatious after eating those large ears of corn. "You only live once, Meems," I assured my oldest and dearest friend. Any concerns were assuaged once we felt the wind blowing through our hair in the twists and turns of the ride. The Tilt-A-Whirl was followed by the Around the World in Eighty Seconds ride, the View for Days Ferris Wheel and the Rock Till You Drop Roller Coaster. To bring our breathing back down to earth, we ended with the Merry Go Round and Round. The true spirit of childhood had taken us all over.

We were all out of breath when it was agreed that we'd find a place to sit a while with a cool, sweet iced tea and watch the comings and goings of the Horizon Fair. It was a true treat to watch our fellow d'Oasians having the time of their lives. We saw Hoyt Granger Blackmon ring the Show of Strength Tower bell more than once. Carolina Dakota Eaton was seen on the ferris wheel with more than one young d'Oasian gentleman. Well, she is one of the cutest things you've ever seen. Lou Coalhouse Dixon walked by once, holding the hand of Bianca June Fedderhopp. Effie had given me a glance out of the corner of her eye, hoping I'd approve of that pairing. Well, one can't blame the spirit of the carnival with the pairing up of two souls and Lou is a strapping young man with a good head on his shoulders.

At around 8:30, we heard the voice of Jubilee Saskatoon ringing out over a loud speaker. Jubilee was coordinator of the Beauty on the Horizon Pageant and she was announcing that the contestants were about to parade through the midway of the carnival. We were lucky to already be seated along the designated path. Each contestant would be riding by on a small float, created by themselves.

We watched as each of the five contestants was pulled along the route by a pair of teenage boys. The theme of this year's pageant was First Ladies of the United States. I was sure this would be a special treat. First by us was Miss Meg Dixon, dressed as Martha Washington. She had on this beautiful black and white dress with a white wig framing her sweet face. She kept a placid smile on her face with a simple wave. Next, was Frances Scot Dupree from New Topia, dressed as Mary Todd Lincoln. She was dressed in a simple, deep blue dress with her hair twisted up behind her head. Third, another girl from New Topia, Blanche de Blanc, came riding by as Rosalynn Carter. Her outfit consisted of a pretty business suit style outfit and she stood regally on her float. After Blanche came Little Bit Funderburk dressed as Dolley Madison. She was wearing a sweet, white dress and her cheeks were adorned with a little bit of pink. Little Bit might just make a nice first lady herself. Finally, Connie Sue Ramirez came riding by dressed as Eleanor Roosevelt. I'd never seen Connie Sue look so regal and she was just as pleased as punch to be representing such a stalwart American.

As the last float passed by, we joined the group of people following the parade to the grandstands. The contestants were making their way to the stage when we arrived and found a seat. Each contestant then gave a little speech about their chosen first lady. The speeches were followed by an Americana Fireworks presentation which lit up the sky behind the stage. The judges were counting their scores while we were entertained by the fireworks spectacular.

The final firework exploded into the shape of a tiara and as the lights faded from the tiara, Jubilee stepped up to the microphone. "This year's Miss Beauty on the Horizon is Miss Little Bit Funderburk." We all jumped to our feet and applauded as a teary-eyed Little Bit walked to the front to accept her sash.

Just as the crowd began to find its way back toward the midway, Jubilee asked over the microphone for everyone to hold their place. We all turned in wonder as Jubilee stood smiling up on the stage. "The Horizon Fair has a very special prize, this year, for one of its attendees."
At the same moment, Little Bit Funderburk tossed a bouquet of roses high into the air. We watched as the bouquet sailed through the air toward the crowd. Many hands shot into the air hoping to catch the lovely bouquet. All heads followed the path of the roses as they seemed drawn to the outstretched hands of Miss Effie Dixon. Meemaw, Teensy and I shouted with glee as Effie clasped the bouquet to her.

"Effie, please come up to the stage and find out what your prize is," said Jubilee into the microphone. Effie made her way through the crowd with the biggest of smiles. She was helped up the stairs to the stage by a couple of nice young men and greeted with a hug, by Jubilee. Jubilee had Effie face the audience and with an arm over Effie's shoulder announced, "Miss Effie Dixon, by catching the roses that travelled through the air, you have won airfare for four plus accommodations to New York City!!!!"

Well, we couldn't believe our ears and I think Effie herself became a little faint with the announcement. New York City!! Well, who would've ever imagined. The crowd roared after the announcement was made and groups here and there started chanting, "Effie...Effie...Effie!!"
Meemaw, Teensy and I made our way to the stage to hug our friend. Jubilee was handing Effie a large envelope when we got to the steps up to the stage. We girls were excited about how Effie's luck seemed to continue.

So we wouldn't lose Effie's big envelope, we decided to make our way out of the Horizon Fair and head over to Meemaw's house for some libation and fellowship - and to go over the literature concerning Effie's big prize. Teensy drove Effie's car. Effie thought she'd be too jittery to keep the car on the road. Meemaw rode with me. We laughed and talked all the way to her house.

Once inside Meemaw's house, the excitement in the air continued, as Effie opened her prize envelope. She confirmed that there were four airline tickets inside and a reservation number for the Marriott right in Time's Square. It would be a 5 day/ 4 night trip to the Big Apple. This was one of the most exciting things to ever happen in d'Oasis.

Effie read the congratulatory letter to us as well. We found out the airline tickets had a requirement to be used in the next two weeks. There would have to be a lot of planning done in the next few days. Of course, Effie announced that the four of us would take this vacation together. Meemaw said she was confident that Lou Coalhouse Dixon was capable of looking after the Gas 'n Dash. Teensy announced that Viola Jessup had been helping her out a lot, recently, at Teensy's Teensy Pets and was sure Viola could take care of the animals for a few days.

All of a sudden I shot straight up in my seat. "I'm afraid I can't go! Oh, this is awful!" I said. I'd just remembered that I was going up to New Topia in a couple of days for a week long conference of mayors. It was a very important conference that I just couldn't miss. I was so sad to be missing such an adventure, but there was nothing that could be done.

"Then, I'm not going either," announced Meemaw. "How can I have a good time without my oldest and dearest friend?"

"You are certainly going to go, Meems," I replied. "It's an opportunity you can not miss, besides I took a couple of day trips up to New York City when I was in college. Trust me. You just have to go." My friends gave me the most pitiful smiles. "I have a wonderful idea," I said. "Shaquanda Braid has been to New York City as well. She can use my ticket and can guide you all around the city. She can be an excellent guide."

My friends looked at each other, wondering what to do. I ran into Meemaw's kitchen, picked up the phone and dialed Shaquanda immediately. "Sister, Effie has won a trip for four to New York City and I need you to go with Effie, Teensy and Meemaw and be their guide. I would love to be able to go on the trip but I have a conference of mayors up in New Topia next week....what? yes, of course. All right. I will have Effie call you later with all the details."

The excitement for my friends outweighed any sadness I had about missing the trip. But I also looked forward to hearing their stories of the city upon their return. I'd assured Shaquanda that I could get Maude Smith to look after the Jackson 5-Hour Martinizing while she was away. Lulubelle would be able to handle the General Market and the drug counter for a few days. Shaquanda was just as excited as anyone about the prospects of travels to the Big Apple.

Four days later, I was sitting in my hotel room in New Topia and a smile came to my heart - thinking of my friends exploring New York City. Meemaw's eyes looking up at the Statue of Liberty - a monument to the community of this great country. Teensy modeling the clothing of the city as the girls shopped - her petite frame perfect for the fashion district. Effie's spirit shining like the lights along Broadway. And Shaquanda introducing my nearest and dearest friends to new cuisine. I felt I was there with them and my spirit soared.

It is true what they say - absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Until tomorrow...don't be tacky...Peggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment